Saturday, February 21, 2009

Our Story .... Part IV

Matt: Ah, the walk on the beach. Nothing like a good, refreshing walk to open up an honest discourse and let the lusts of one's heart burst forth. And a beach? Well where else can the romantic sounds of crashing waves, singing sand, and drunken fraternity boys be heard so clearly? The stars were aligned, the moon was full, and I just knew that this was the chance I had been waiting for.

So what happened, you ask? Funny, because I'm not recalling all the details myself. It could have had something to do with the consumption of beverages illicit for minors on a hot beach earlier that day. While that will remain a riddle for the ages, I do remember a few key occurrences.

1) I walked REALLY FAST. We were walking with a few friends - Rachel, Darius? - but I wanted Jenn ALONE. So I kept walking faster and faster, and at one point I ran a little bit, playfully, to try to get her separated from the pack. My Discovery Channel viewings paid off, and I eventually succeeded. We got quite a ways ahead.

2) I saw some abandoned beach chairs that I bee-lined for and suggested we both sit down in. Just my luck! Immediately after we sat down, my blood pressure jumped and my heart began racing. This was IT. The chance. The two of us alone. I had so much to say. So many feelings and emotions I wanted to share. Wow, I was totally going to creep her out. Was I? Am I creepy? No, this is love! I must let her know. She'll be flattered. She'll fall into my arms. Maybe we'll have sex? No, probably pushing it just a bit. Take it slow, Skip. Nice and easy.

3) That's when I heard the door slam, and realized that there's nowhere left to run. I felt the cold hand, and wondered if I'd ever see the sun. I closed my eyes, and hoped that this was just imagination. But all the while, I heard the creature creeping up behind (Darius? Rachel?). I was out of time. Wait......no, no. That's not really what happened.

4) Ah, yes, what did happen: I said "What a nice night!" over and over. I commented on the nice water, the nice sand, the nice air.... just about everything was nice. And I said nothing I had intended to say. Not a single peep, utterance, sneeze, or cough of what was on my mind.

5) We headed back, and I resigned myself to the fact that I had utterly failed my mission.

So the rest of the trip was mediocre. I had fun, don't get me wrong - going to clubs, drinking, going to the beach, riding scooters, golfing - but I was so captivated by this one Jenn, and I only wanted to spend time with Her, that when I wasn't I was miserable.

Jenn and Leesie left Panama City before the rest of the group did. We were supposed to stay over at Rachel's in New Orleans on the way back, and get back to Houston a day later, but all I wanted to do was get back to Rice. I think everybody was tired, so it didn't take too much persuasion, but I certainly pushed hard and head straight back to Houston we did.

Jenn was only back 6 hours when I IM'd her.

"Hey! We decided to head straight back."

I think she was a little surprised and possibly 6% suspicious, because instead of her usual instant reply I had to wait about 30 seconds.

"Hi. Umm.. I though you guys were staying at Rachel's overnight. What happened?"

Hmmm. "We are all really tired and exhausted." 10 seconds later. "What are you up to tonight?"

And that's when she said she needed to buy towels. If there's one thing Skip Conrad loves, it's shopping for bed and bath products. With Jenn. So I offered my valet services knowing she didn't have a car, and said that I would be more than happy to take her to Target. Thus began our first "date."

1 comment:

  1. Clearly the reason I am still single is that I have not watched enough Discovery Channel.

    ReplyDelete